Presidential candidates allege fraud in CAR election

More than 1.8 million people were registered to vote at more than 500 polling stations nationwide

More than 1.8 million people were registered to vote at more than 500 polling stations nationwide

Some 20 of 30 presidential candidates in the Central African Republic’s election have called on authorities to stop counting the votes, alleging fraud.

They made the demand at a news conference on Monday, after nearly 40 per cent of the ballots had been counted.

Central African Republic citizens voted on December 30 in much-delayed national elections that it was hoped would bring stability after two years of ruinous communal violence.

The candidates said the electoral process was marred by fraud, and that the population would question the results. Signatories include heavyweight candidate Karim Meckassoua , a former foreign minister from the minority Muslim community, who had been seen as a pre-election frontrunner.

Souleymane Ndiaye, the former Prime Minister of Senegal and the Head of the African Union’s (AU) Election Observer Mission, told Al Jazeera that the polls went ahead without incident.

“Those candidates who are complaining, received votes of between zero and one per cent, this is why they are protesting,” he said from Dakar, Senegal, shortly after returning from the CAR capital, Bangui. –Aljazeera

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment