Police,youths clash

The road blocked by the youth of Krofrom .Photos Godwin Ofosu Achampong

The road blocked by the youth of Krofrom .Photos Godwin Ofosu Achampong

Irate youths from Krofrom in Kumasi yesterday clashed with the Police over an autopsy report which exonerated five police personnel of any wrongdoing in connection with the killing of a 22-year-old man in the area last Thursday.

The youth pelted the Police with stones and smashed the windscreen of one of their vehicles during a second demonstration to register their displeasure. They also blocked the main road and burnt lorry tyres in the middle of the street in the area.

The Police quickly responded by firing tear gas to disperse the angry protesters and arrested four of them.

That resulted in a pandemonium at the place and people close to the area, including journalists and those who were not taking part in the protest, all had to run for cover.

The autopsy report signed by Dr Osei Sampene, head of Pathology and his assistant, Dr Ernest Adjei, both of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), and dated May 30, 2016, said the deceased, Kofi Osei Tawiah, died from congestive heart failure and not torture.

However, no indication was made about the cause of the fatal heart problem and the angry youths said the report failed to mention the alleged brutality against the victim because of a deliberate attempt by KATH to shield the personnel from wrongdoing.

The family of the deceased, who were said to be present during the autopsy, also disagreed with the autopsy report.

They claimed they have people who saw the police manhandle the deceased and that the report was an attempt by the police to shield the officers from blame and any legal charges.

Tawiah was said to have been beaten to pulp by five police personnel, including a woman when he went to his usual food joint after he had earlier on “attended to nature’s call” at a public facility.

The police claimed he was a suspected robber but the youth of the area did not accept that.

Earlier, three police personnel were arrested in connection with the alleged beatings and death of Tawiah with the remaining two said to be on the run.

Police Chief Inspector Godwin Ahianyo of the Ashanti Regional Police Public Affairs Unit told The Ghanaian Times that the suspects have been released on bail.

Commenting on the issue, the Ashanti Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Kofi Boakye said the police would not countenance anybody who tried to take advantage of the situation to cause mayhem in the area.

Though he did not deny the availability of the autopsy report, DCOP Boakye said the family or anyone who disagreed with the content should use the appropriate channel to address their grievances, adding that the family could arrange for a new pathologist to perform another autopsy.

 From Kingsley E. Hope, Kumasi

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment