Police Hunt For Nyinahini Chief

The Ashanti Regional Police Command has mounted a search for the chief of Nyinahini, Nana Amampene Boateng Twum, in connection with the murder of the head pastor of the Aladura Church, at his residence at Nyinahini, in the Atwima Mponua District of Ashanti, on September 1, this year.

A police source, which confirmed this to The Ghanaian Times, said that three suspects had so far been arrested in connection with the murder.

Their names were given as Bismark Atta Senior, also known as Jordan and his brother, Oheneba Kwaku Duah, and Obiri Yeboah Asante, also known as Kwadwo Ketewa, a carpenter.

According to the source, Nana Boateng Twum was alleged to have contracted the suspects to kill the head pastor, Paul Abreffah, 60, who was said to have been stabbed in the stomach several times.

It is recalled that The Ghanaian Times in its September 3 edition carried a story with the headline “Alladura church leader murdered,” in which the police were reported to be searching for the suspects.

Throwing some light on the case, the police source said the church had a vast land, part of which was used to cultivate oil palm, adding that the said land was acquired by the church in 1970 from the late chief of Nyinahini.

The source said Tigo, a telecommunication company, approached Nana Boateng Twum for a portion of land on which to erect its mast to improve communication delivery in the area.

It alleged that the chief, without contacting the church, negotiated with the company and collected GH¢5,000 and released a portion of the land to it for the erection of the mast.

The source said when Pastor Abreffah got wind of that, he approached the chief who was said to have offered GH¢600 to the church as its share of the money he received from the telecommunication company.

That, the source said, resulted in a misunderstanding between the deceased and the chief and the case was reported to the Asantehene who is yet to adjudicate on the matter.

The source alleged that the chief engaged the three suspects to kill the pastor whose testimony before the Asantehene might have led to his (chief) destoolment.

The source alleged that at about 4:30am on September 1, the deceased was returning to nature’s call when he was attacked and killed by the suspects.

The source said when news broke out, the suspects and the chief disappeared from Nyinahini.

The source said on September 16, the police had information that the suspects had returned to the town and went to arrest them to help in the investigation.

Earlier, some of the inhabitants claimed the pastor might have killed himself but others believed he was killed by someone.

According to the assemblyman of Nyinahini, William Darko, who earlier confirmed the incident to The Ghanaian Times, when neighbours went to the scene at about 8 p.m., the pastor was writhing in pain with a knife stuck in his stomach.

He alleged that they realised someone was running into the bush and they gave a chase but were not able to arrest the one.

He said the pastor was pronounced dead when he was rushed to the hospital.

From Kingsley E. Hope, Kumasi

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment