Parliamentary aspirant of Subin put before court

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) parliamentary aspirant for the Subin Constituency, Eugene Antwi, has appeared before a magistrates court here, charged with assault.

He was said to have allegedly assaulted Nana Yaw Osei, a private legal practitioner.

Antwi pleaded not guilty to the charge. The court, presided over by Mr. Peter Oppong Boahen, admitted him to bail in the sum of GHc5,000.00 with a surety.

Realising danger for the aspirant, the former Minister of Chieftaincy and Cultural Affairs, S.K Boafo, in whose chambers Lawyer Nana Yaw works, made a surprise appearance in the court and pleaded for an out-of-court settlement.

The court, however, granted the request after asking the parties for their consent and adjourned the case to August 18, 2016 for the parties to attempt the settlement.

Earlier, prosecuting, Police Sergeant Michael Koole, said in the afternoon of April 24, 2016 at about 1pm, Nana Osei, was part of the entourage of Mr.Paul Afoko, the suspended NPP National Chairman that participated in the Akwasidae festival that marked the 17th anniversary of the ascension to the throne of Otumfuo Osei Tutu II.

On arrival at the durbar grounds, some protocol officers at the Manhyia Palace decided to give seats to Mr. Afoko and his entourage under the first canopy where the accused person, Mr. Peter Mac Manu and other NPP members  were already seated.

He said realising that Mr. Afoko and his entourage were to be seated under the same canopy as them, the accused and others suddenly shifted their chairs forward to cover the space that was created for Mr Afoko and his entourage.

According to the prosecution, that development resulted in a hot exchange of words between the accused and one Mallam who did not understand the behaviour of the accused and others.

Mr Afoko was said to have left for another seating place, but the exchanges were ongoing in the full glare of those at the durbar grounds.

To prevent a nasty scene from taking place, the prosecution said, Nana Osei decided to intervene and so went to get Mallam away, and in the process, the accused was said to have hit him(Nana Yaw) at the back of his neck.

Some sympathisers massed up in an attempt to attack the accused after he was said to have boasted of his rout with Nana Yaw.

A report was made to the police and a medical form was issued to Nana Osei who was treated and discharged at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.

From Kingsley E. Hope, Kumasi

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment