Owusu Bempah freed

Members of the Church jubilating on the streets after the release of  their  Bishop (Photo Daniel Amoo (1)

Security  Officers directing Owusu Bempahs vehicle  out from the CID Headquarters after the interrogations Photo Daniel Amoo

Security Officers directing Owusu Bempahs vehicle out from the CID Headquarters after the interrogations Photo Daniel Amoo

Scores of members of the Glorious Word Ministry International yesterday besieged the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters, to demand the immediate release of their founder and leader, Prophet Isaac Owusu Bempah.

Rev. Owusu Bempah was invited by the CID for allegedly saying he had a revelation that some people were planning to assassinate Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, the New Patriotic Party’s presidential candidate.

The supporters gathered just opposite the entrance, after the police personnel dismissed them from congregating at the main complex.

Visibly angered by the police’s actions, they demanded the release of their spiritual leader without subjecting him to any further embarrassment.

Some questioned why the police would invite their leader for interrogation on spiritual matters.

A 60-year-old woman, who spoke to The Ghanaian Times, said they believed the Police action was politically motivated, stating that Reverend Owusu Bempah was only an instrument through whom God communicated to His people.

Others wondered why the Ghana Police Service did not invite famous Nigerian pastor, T. B. Joshua, after he publicly prophesied that Ghana was in line to experience terrorist attack.

At 12:45pm, Rev. Owusu Bempah drove out of the CID premises with his entourage, having been released after almost four hours.

Addressing the followers later, Mr. Yaw Buabeng Asamoah, lawyer for Rev. Owusu Bempah, assured them that the spiritual leader was totally free after honouring a “friendly invitation” by the Police.

“He was never under arrest, and he’s safe and sound now,” he stated.

In an interview with the Times, Ms. Efia Akoto, spokesperson for the pastor, said Reverend Owusu Bempah, together with his lawyer and other members of his entourage, arrived at the CID Headquarters at about 9am and was released at 12:45pm after interrogation.

She said the police did not charge him for any offence, adding, “we were there as part of a procedure to assist the police with investigations.”

The founder and leader of Glorious Word Ministry International, was invited by the police after he was alleged to have said some Ghanaian politicians are conniving to kill Nana Akufo-Addo before the December 7 general elections.

He said the assassins were plotting to carry out the operation during one of Nana Addo’s campaign tours.

The popular preacher did not mention the name of the supposed persons scheming to kill Nana Addo, but said they would shoot him at a rally.

The police at the CID Headquarters’ security gate did not allow the Ghanaian Times access to the office of the CID Commissioner and efforts to contact the office on telephone were not successful.

By Claude Nyarko Adams

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment