Omy TV launches full operations

Accra -based Satellite TV station, Omy TV, has official launched its operations, promising exciting and innovative television experience for viewers.

The station has been in existence since 2016 but started test transmission in October 2018.

The channel is predominantly a sports station with 70 per cent of its content sports-related whilst the rest of the 30 per cent to be allocated to Politics, entertainment as well as other programmes of interest.

The opening in Accra was attended by an impressive crowd including chiefs, sports personalities, media personnel, viewers and the die-hard supporters group.

An Assistant Director with the Ministry of Communication, Madam Ewurafuah Pratt who delivered the keynote address on behalf of the sector Minister, Ursula Ekuful entreated OmyTv to position itself for the digital migration that will take off soon.

She said with the digital migration, one was sure of quality delivery of pictures, sound and the ability to host more channels.

She applauded the management for coming out with a channel that is dedicated to 70% sports and encouraged them not to dilute the vision they have embarked on.

Madam Pratt encouraged the station to make Ghanaian related content their primary focus as that will help project the national interest in Ghanaian products.

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Omy TV, Joyce Aku Mensah in her address said Omy will introduce innovative and dynamic programmes and content that will make the difference in the television broadcast industry.

She indicated that they were very much aware of the challenges and intense competition in the industry but stated their readiness to surmount them.

President of the Private Newspapers Association of Ghana (PRIMPAG) Nii Laryea Sowah popularly referred to as ‘kente man’ advised Omy TV and its staff to join bodies such as the Ghana Journalist Associations (GJA), Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) and PRIMPAG as it will go a long way to help their activities.

He charged them to stick to their mandate and maintain a high a level of professionalism towards their duties, entreating them not to entertain charlatans who parade as men of God.

Mr Bawa Fuseini, President of the Ghana Triathlon Federation (GTF) who delivered a solidarity message on behalf of the Sports fraternity recounted how his federation partnered with Omy TV to deliver a successful West Africa Zone 1 triathlon competition in October this year.

He described the idea of having a sports bias channel as exciting and called on the various Sports Associations and federations to support it.

He also urged the station to pay more attention to lesser-known sports in the country to help grow and promote their activities.

The station has sports shows such as ‘Awake Sports’ which airs from Monday to Friday 6:00 am – 7:00 am, ‘Sports Coffee Show’ which airs from Monday to Wednesday 8:00 am – 10:00 am, and ‘Premtobre Agodie’ that is televised from 12:00pm-1:00pm among other shows.

BY NANA BENTSI ODURO

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :

Leave a Comment