N/Regional School Feeding office still locked

 Salifu Saeed, Northern Regional Minister

Salifu Saeed, Northern Regional Minister

The Northern Regional secretariat of the Ghana School Feeding programme is yet to be opened, after it was locked up almost a week ago, by a pro-New Patriotic Party (NPP) group, calling itself the Burma Camp Youth, in protest against the recruitment of caterers.

Shockingly, the police and the Regional Security Council have done very little to restore sanity in order for pupils who rely on the programme to continue to benefit from it.

Members of the group at Aboabo in the Tamale metropolis locked up the secretariat on October 17, 2017.

Spokesperson of the Burma Camp Youth group, Mohammed Kamil, earlier in an interview, vowed that the secretariat will be under lock and key until the mode of selection of the caterers and zonal coordinators is reversed.

Staff of the Ghana School Feeding programme including the Regional Coordinator, Felicia Tetteh, have since not returned to work.

The group has accused the Minister of Gender, Children and Social Protection, Madam Otiko Afisah Djaba, of hijacking the programme in the region, hence their action.

It has thus petitioned the Northern Regional Chairman of the NPP, Daniel Bugri Naabu, and the party’s regional Council of Elders over the matter.

The group in that petition asked President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to call Madam Djaba to order.

Over the weekend, they threatened to lock up district offices of the Ghana School Feeding Programme beginning Monday October 23, 2017, if the problem is not solved.

They warned caterers who have been allocated schools in the Tamale metropolis not to cook or else they will be severely dealt with, but the caterers ignored the threat.

The Zonal Coordinator for Tamale, Sagnarigu and Tolon, Suraya Abdul Manan said all caterers under her supervision were at work.

She said no amount of intimidation or threats will compel the caterers to stop cooking and encouraged them to ignore any threats and continue to cook for the pupils.

Meanwhile, the Northern Regional Police Command appears not to be bothered about the group’s action.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Yussif Tanko claimed the matter had not been officially brought to the notice of the police administration.

His comment drew public condemnations from listeners who sent messages to the news programme via various social media networks. –citifmonline.com

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment