Mourinho insists United job not on line

MOU

MOU

JOSE Mourinho does not believe that his job is on the line at Manchester United but refused to say whether he has recently spoken to Ed Woodward, the club’s executive vice-chairman.

Speculation that Mourinho’s tenure could be nearing its end intensified this weekend after a dismal 3-1 defeat to West Ham on Saturday, which saw United record their worst start to a league season in 26 years.

Zinedine Zidane has been linked as Mourinho’s potential successor, while reports on Monday morning claimed that the former Real Madrid head coach had contacted Mourinho in an attempt to convince him that he was not manoeuvring to take over at Old Trafford.

Mourinho laughed off the reports in question at his press conference to preview Tuesday’s Champions League meeting with Valencia, joking that the reporter in question must have bugged his phone.

And when asked whether United’s recent form has put him in a precarious position, Mourinho simply said: “No, I don’t think.”

The United manager also refused to reveal whether he had recently spoken to Woodward, the man who will have the ultimate say on whether Mourinho sees out his two-year contract.

“That’s a private matter,” he said. “I’m not asking you who did you speak with this morning, who was your last phone call, that’s a private matter.”

Mourinho was not in a combative mood, as some might have expected, but did defend himself against any suggestion that he was under-achieving at Old Trafford and may be under pressure.

The Portuguese was asked by a Spanish journalist whether he considered his work at United so far to be a failure.

“I can say that the big successes of Atletico Madrid last year was my success the year before,” he replied, referring to winning the Europa League with United in his first season. – The Independent

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment