Mixed reactions greet its implementation

AS the much talked about newly introduced double track system takes effect today, a cross section of Ghanaians have expressed their views on the system.

The system, according to government, is to absorb the increasing number of students who are benefiting from the free Senior High School (SHS) policy.

It estimates that about 180,000 Junior High School graduates across the country would be entering into public SHSs this academic year resulting in the introduction of the policy.

The decision to introduce this system, government had explained, was as a result of the educational infrastructure deficit the schools were faced with.

It added that the double track system would decrease the high number of students in a class and help improve on their performances.

Under the policy, newly admitted students into public SHSs would be divided into two tracks. These are the Gold and Green tracks.

The Gold track would be expected to be in school for 40 days as the Green track stay home and vice versa.

In separate interviews with the Ghanaian Times in Accra yesterday, the respondents expressed varied opinions on the policy.

Mr. John Doodo, a trader, justified government’s decision to introduce the double track system.

In his view, as government as always said, “No student must be left behind for lack of infrastructure.”

 

A spare parts dealer at the Abossey Okai Market, Frank Nkansah, lauded government for introducing the system.

To him, in the face of the infrastructural deficit, government had been innovative to take along all qualified students.

A marketing personnel, Mark Antwi, on his part said in as much as government wanted every Ghanaian to have access to secondary education, it must do well to provide the needed infrastructure to ensure quality tuition.

Priscilla Addo, a nurse, however, disagree with government on the system.

She said the possible reduction in the teacher-student contact hours could lead to poor performance by students.

A private security guard, Anthony Golga, was concerned about the likelihood of students engaging in social vices as a result of the long periods they would be on vacation.

He said as adolescents who would be having natural changes in their beings and be left alone to their fate while their parents went to work, the tendency to be adventurous could be high.

Admitting that it was too late to back down on the system, he wanted government to speed up the construction and completion of abandoned school buildings.

Meanwhile Dzifa Tetteh reports from Ashaiman that there was no activity at the Ashaiman Senior High School as far as the double track system was concerned.

 

Parents and potential students who arrived at the school on Monday morning were asked to go back and check on Tuesday  because the school was yet to receive the list of new students.

 

The security man at the gate said the school authorities had gone for the list.

 

He however informed the parents to bring along a printed form of the placement, an endorsement form, their former schools, a photocopy of the National Health Insurance Card and a weighing card or birth certificate.
At the Chemu Senior High School, there were notices at the main entrance of the school informing those placed at the school to return on Tuesday.

 

Several parents and students who were worried about the development told the Ghanaian Times they would return today because they have no choice.

 

The list of students to be admitted had however been posted on the notice board.

BY ALLIA NOSHIE

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment