Medeama claims first win in Confed. Cup

Three first half goals were enough to hand Medeama a 3-1 win over Tanzania’s Young Africans in their CAF Confederation Cup match played yesterday at the Essipun Sports Stadium.

Abass Mohammed netted twice in addition to an early Daniel Amoah opener, but Simon Msuva fetched a consolation for the visitors who are practically out of the competition.

Medeama coach Prince Owusu made just a change to the lineup that started the first leg two weeks back, with Malik Akowuah taking the place of Kwame Boahene.

On the other hand, former Medeama coach, Hans van der Pluijm effected two changes, bringing on Nadir Haroub and Haruna Niyonzima for Vincent Bossou and Amissi Tambwe.

Right from the referee’s whistle, the Ghanaians made clear their intentions to go for the break in their search for a first win in the ‘money zone’.

Eric Kwakwa had the first chance after just a minute but the attacker failed to beat goalkeeper Deogratias Munishi in a one-on-one situation.

Daniel Amoah, however, did not waste the opportunity to open the scoring in the seventh minute.

Two minutes later, The Yellow and Mauves had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 but Malik Akowuah failed to convert from the spot when Kelvin Yondani’s silly tackle gave away a penalty.

Abass Mohammed, nonetheless, consolidated the home side’s lead with a beautiful effort in the 22nd minute.

This time around, the visitors wasted no time in hitting back, with Simon Msuva slamming home a penalty after Malik Akowuah fouled Obrey Chirwa.

Juma Abdul then tested Agyei with a shot, but it was Medeama who restored their two-goal lead in the 37th minute through Abass. The striker was on hand to head home a rebound after Munishi had parried out an earlier effort.

Back from recess, coach Pluijm made a double change in his attempt to add more bite to his set-up. Vincent Andrews came on for Yondani, while Juman Mahadi replaced Niyonzima.

However, it was Medeama who came close again, even when Bernard Ofori’s free header missed the target by inches.

Enoch Atta Agyei shot wide in the 65th minute, before Msuva blasted a free-kick off target from range with quarter-an-hour to end proceedings, his side having failed to create any clear-cut opening.

The visitors, lifted their game and almost came close to reducing the deficit in injury time, but Msuva’s shot struck the upright.

Medeama now has five points to their name but, nonetheless, sit third on the log. TP Mazembe of Congo takes on Algeria’s MO Bejaia in the other group game on


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment