Man steals 4 taxis

A 21-year-old man has been arrested by the police for allegedly snatching four taxis at Mile 7, a suburb of Accra.

Isaac Owusu and an accomplice, Aziz Mohammed (on the run), were said to have snatched the vehicles last month.

Briefing The Ghanaian Times, the Mile 7 District Police Crime Officer, Deputy Superintendent of Police Henry Agbeve said in the month of May, Mile 7 and its environs recorded four car snatchings involving the suspects.

He said between May 1 and 3, the suspects, armed with a locally manufactured pistol, hired the services of a taxi driver at Abeka Lapaz to Tabora to visit their friend but on reaching a school at New Achimota, they told the driver to stop to enable them to call their friend to check whether she was at home.

DSP Agbeve said on stopping, Mohamed pointed a gun at him, while Owusu, who was sitting behind the driver, grabbed him by the throat, adding that the suspects forced the driver out of the car and bolted with it.

He said the suspects sent the car, a Toyota Corolla with registration number GS 5171-14 to Kumasi Old Tafo to sell but in the process of selling, confusion arose between them and the buyer.

DSP Agbeve said the police had information but before they got to the scene, the suspects had fled, leaving the vehicle behind.

He said with the same modus of operandi, the suspects snatched another Toyota Corolla with registration number GG 1227-14 from the driver, adding that the suspects hit the driver’s head with a metal rendering him unconscious and took the vehicle away.

He said the suspects thereafter took the vehicle to Swedru, in the Central Region to sell to a friend of the car owner, unknown to them.

“The buyer took the car to Accra, which the owner identified even though the colour had been changed,” he said, adding that upon police alert, Owusu was arrested in Swedru.

DSP Agbeve said on May 18, the suspects again snatched a taxi with registration number GN 8860-14 at Pokuase adding that so far three of the vehicles had been retrieved, while the police were doing everything possible retrieve the fourth one.

He said during interrogation, Owusu confessed to the crime and that he would soon be put before court.

By Agnes Opoku Sarpong

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment