Major Mahama ‘killers’ seek God’s intervention… In court with religious books

Some of the suspects outside the courtroom

Some of the suspects outside the courtroom

The 19 suspects standing trial for the alleged murder of the late Major Maxwell Adam Mahama, at Denkyira-Obuasi in the Central Region, yesterday appeared in the Accra Central District Court, holding religious books.

It is an apparent effort to seek God’s intervention in the case.

The book titled, “How to be Born Again and Avoid Hell,” is authored by Bishop Dag Heward-Mills, a popular Ghanaian pastor.

Whiles some of the 19 accused were wiping their tears, others too, could be seen bowing their heads and offering prayers inaudibly soon as they sat on the long benches in the court room for the commencement of proceedings.

The court, presided by Mr Ebenezer Kwaku Ansah, remanded them, this time round, in prison custody.

This was at the behest of the prosecutor, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) George Amegah.

He told the court that the security of the accused was paramount and it was necessary for them to be confined to one place since they were kept in police cells at various locations in Accra, which made the work of the police difficult in conveying them to court in time.

DSP Amegah said that investigations were far advanced, and that the docket on the case had been sent to the Attorney-General(A-G)’s  Department for legal advice.

“The rest of the suspects, who are on the run are being sought and I hope they will be arrested in due course,” he stated.

Mr Charles Juanah, lawyer of the accused, raised no objection and also said the safety of his clients was dear to him, and that it would be better for their safety to be guaranteed when remanded in prison custody.

He, however, asked the prosecution not to, as usual , delay the trial because the case also bordered on human rights issues, regarding their long detention in lawful custody, and pleaded that the state commenced the trial in earnest.

“This is a serious case and it will be in the best interest of the country and the world at large to know the outcome of this case,” Mr Juanah said, and commended the media for their accurate reportage on the case without sensationalism.

The judge commended the police for their expeditious investigations, and the subsequent prosecution of the 19 people, and urged them to do same to any other cases brought before them for investigations.

The case has been adjourned to August 3, 2017, by which time the A-G’s advice would have been received.

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment