Machomen storm Tema toll booth

Toll Booths Tema  1Fifty heavily-built men stormed the Tema Motorway Roundabout and Ashaiman Overhead Toll booths, in the early hours of Monday, and took over the operations of the facilities.

The group that described itself as Invisible forces, of the NPP said their action was to protect state property.

The action of the group, which started at about 5am brought toll collection to a halt momentarily while drivers move freely without paying toll fees.

The Police had hectic time controlling the young men, and restoring law and order.

The Police resorted to the use of dialogue with the leadership of the group to ensure calm, but made no arrests.

Media personnel and members of the public were prevented by the Invisible Force from taking still or video photographs of the incident with their mobile phones, cameras and other gadgets with some going ordering the deletion of recorded materials by the media.

Some staff at the facility were allegedly physically and verbally assaulted by some members of the Invisible Force as they tried to seize monies collected by toll Booth Operators.

The Commander for the Tema Invisible Force, Mr. Mohammed Ali told the media that the decision to storm the place was because they had observed over time that some unpatriotic citizens try to take advantage of the change in government to do things which in his opinion are not right.

He said they had not come to sack the staff or take over the place, but “monitor” the activities of those who collect tolls at the facilities.

Mr Ali said the group seized money collected by Toll Booth operators the members not take the money away.

Mr. Ali said the money had been returned to management of the place, upon instruction from their superiors in Accra, to leave the place.

The Public Relations Officer for the Tema Regional Police Command, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Juliana Obeng, said the Police arrived at the scene to restore order and that leaders of the group had cooperated with the police.

ASP Obeng said no arrests had been made as that could have made the situation more chaotic, adding that the situation was brought under control and activities at the toll booths had resumed.

ASP Obeng on the case of alleged assault on some staff of the place said no official complaint had been made to the Police by any victim.

She said the toll booths are always guarded by Police personnel and that they would continue to keep watch over the place.

As at 10 am when this reporter was leaving the place, the Invisible Forces had left the place, with some Police and military personnel monitoring the situation, while toll collection had resumed.

 

From Dzifa Tetteh, Ashaiman.

 

 

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :
Catholic Bishops, Chine...
Female candidates perfo...
MP’s killer wants to ta...
Pope John's students su...
DVLA denies allegations
Nana Addo asks for more...
Customs denies reports ...
Stakeholders holders ho...

Leave a Comment