London Court to decide Nayele’s fate today

Nayele AmetefehThe court sitting on the case involving Nayele Ametefe, the Ghanaian woman, busted in the United Kingdom (UK) for smuggling 12.5 kilograms of cocaine will resume hearing today.

The Isleworth Crown Court in London was to give sentence yesterday but adjourned to today to enable the prosecutor to establish whether the substance Nayele Ametefeh was carrying was indeed, cocaine.

Sources in London said many Ghanaians who were in court yesterday were disappointed at the latest development.

Nayele Ametefeh was arrested at the Heathrow International Airport on November 10, 2014, with cocaine in her luggage.

She was subsequently charged with Class A drug trafficking, put before the Uxbridge Magistrate Court on Thursday, November 11, 2014 and remanded in prison custody.

At her second court appearance, via a video link on Thursday, November 27, 2014, she pleaded guilty to all the charges against her.

The court, however, declined to state the exact quantity of the substance she was carrying due to on-going forensic analysis of the substance.

The prosecution, led by Ravinder John, told the court that Nayele earlier informed border patrol officers that she was in the UK for shopping.

Nayele’s arrest and subsequent trial also led to the arrest and trial of six people in connection with the case in Ghana.

They include two women, Nana Akua Amponsah and Sadalia Sandra Nuhu, both businesswomen, who travelled with Nayele but are believed to have abandoned her, after being nabbed by the police in the UK.

The two, who were arrested on their return to Accra, have been put before the Accra Circuit Court, for allegedly conspiring with Nayele to convey illegal drugs to the UK.

They both pleaded not guilty to the charges and were first remanded by the court before being granted bail subsequently.

The other four before the court in connection with the case are Alhaji Mohammed Dawood, a businessman; Abiel Ashitey Armah, a Foreign Service officer; Ahmed Abubakar, a Protocol Officer, and Theophilus Kissi, a civil servant.

The Narcotic Control Board was also dissolved in the wake of the scandal.

Many have expressed fear that Nayele’s plea of guilty means it would be difficult to know exactly what happened and who her accomplices were.

According to experts, Nayele faces a prison term which could range between 10 and 16 years.

By Charles Amankwa


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment