Elsewhere in today’s issue, we have published the story about Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital which indicates that for the past 55years, the electrical wiring of the hospital has never been changed.

What it means is that, there has not been any re-wiring of the hospital for the past 55years, and it is unlawful.

Under the law, electrical wiring for industries must be changed every 5 years, while that for domestic must be replaced every 10 years.

Therefore, the situation at KATH poses a threat to human lives and property.

We have had the occasion in this same column to comment on a similar situation that pertains at the country’s premier teaching hospital, Korle-Bu, which also has not been re-wired within the last 90 years.

This is incredible and difficult to comprehend.

It is disturbing that these two highly patronised health institutions in the country, have not considered fire safety measures in their operations.

Not too long ago, there were fire outbreaks in some parts of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, which led to a delegation of Fire Service personnel headed by the Chief Fire Officer, Dr. Albert Brown Gaisie, to conduct a fire safety audit at the place.

The findings revealed that the electrical wiring that was installed about 90 years ago has never been touched, and looked very obsolete.

The Times is not surprised that a similar condition exists at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, and wonders why we have overlooked regular fire safety audits in our important national institutions like hospitals, schools, workplaces, and industries.

Is it surprising therefore that, having failed to conduct fire safety audits, we are having fire outbreaks all over the country?

It is heartwarming that the current Chief Fire Officer, Dr. Gaisie, has started visiting sensitive and important institutions in the country with the aim of educating the authorities on the need to institute fire safety measures in their establishments.

We commend the Chief Fire Officer and indeed, the Ghana National Fire Service for the regular exposure of these lapses in some of our very important institutions.

The Ghana National Fire Service may be facing its own challenges, but its efforts so far, deserve a lot of commendation.

We once again, urge all Ghanaians to develop fire safety consciousness in order to minimise if not eliminate, the numerous fire outbreaks across the country.

The devastation of these fires and their attendant miseries on Ghanaians and the country as a whole, are too much to bear.

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment