Lebanese rape suspect granted bail

Haddad RabihHaddad Rabih, the Lebanese businessman who was accused of raping his 19-year-old house help, has been granted GH¢500,000 bail with two sureties by an Accra high court.

Presiding Judge, Justice Kofi Dorgu of the Criminal Division “Two” of the high court ordered that one of the sureties must be a Ghanaian who should be justified.

The court also asked the accused to deposit his travel passport to the registrar of the court and seek permission from the court before he travels outside Ghana.

The sureties, the court further stated should each provide a passport size photograph of themselves to the registrar for the purpose of identification.

Lawyer for Rabih, Ralph Poku-Adusei went to the high court after an Accra magistrate court denied his client bail.

He argued that his client was entitled to bail because the offence was bailable.

On January 9, 2017, the lawyer told the high court that the police do not have evidence to prosecute his client, explaining that the facts do not support the charge against his client.

It is the case of Poku-Adusei that the accused would not abscond from justice when granted bail, having worked in Ghana for more than 10 years and the fact that he never had a brush with the law.

Lawyer Adusei made reference to decided cases of the Supreme (SC) including the recent Marthin Kpebu judgment to prove that his client deserved bail.

In opposing the application for bail, the Attorney General submitted that the application was premature because the case had not been unduly delayed.

The A-G urged the court not to lose sight of the offence and the conviction it entails, saying that the accused was likely to interfere with the investigations as witnesses are employees of the accused.

Ruling on the application, Justice Dorgu said the factual narrations by the prosecution raises a lot of questions.

He said that he was intrigued prosecution neglected the charge of assault, adding that the posture of the prosecution meant that it was looking for evidence.

Again, the judge said that he was not convinced by the argument of the prosecution that the accused had no place of abode.

On the submission of ill-health as a condition for bail, Justice Dorgu said illness was not a ground for bail and stated that the accused could be granted bail on compassionate grounds.

The facts, according to Superintendent Owusu Bempah, were that the 19-year-old house help was employed by Rabih and his wife in November 2017, and since then, the accused had been pestering her for sex, and subsequently forced her on two occasions to have sexual intercourse with him.

By Malik Sullemana           

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment