Kpone Assembly holds emergency DISEC meeting today on violent demo

Alhaji Tetteh,MCE Kpone KatamansoThe Kpone-Katamanso District Assembly (KKDA), will today hold an emergency District Security Committee (DISEC) meeting to deliberate on security concerns arising from the demonstration embarked upon by the Concerned Youth of Kpone on Tuesday.

The District Chief Executive of KKDA, Alhaji E. A. Tetteh, disclosed this yesterday when The Ghanaian Times visited Kpone to observe the security situation and what was being done to resolve the issues raised by the demonstrators.

The youth protested against the Kpone Traditional Council (KTC) for lack of transparency, plundering the resources it holds on behalf of the people and its refusal to account to the people. They also raised concerns about absence of a Memorandum of Understanding between the KTC and the Sunon Asorgli Power Project, five years after it commenced operations.

The peaceful demonstration turned violent, when some of the demonstrators pulled down a fence wall erected around a parcel of land believed to be part of the Kpone Public Cemetry, and tried to storm the KTC offices.

Police in their bid to maintain law and order resorted to the firing of

tear gas and warning shots, and the ensuring clash resulted in the injury of 18 demonstrators and some police personnel.

Though Alhaji Tetteh was not specific about issues to be discussed at the DISEC meeting, it is believed that they would focus on why the peaceful demonstration turned bloody, and how to deal with threats of attack on the Sunon Asorgli Power Plant.

He said after the DISEC meeting, the KKDA would convene a meeting between the KTC and the youth by next week to resolve the issues amicably in order to promote continuous development in the area.

Alhaji Tetteh said dialogue is the best tool to resolve such an impasse, and the Assembly would employ that strategy to deal with the situation.

He was however, worried that a peaceful demonstration to submit a petition to stakeholders would end up in violence.

During a tour of the town everything looked calm, with people going about their normal businesses, except that the red flags mounted by the demonstrators on the principal streets were still flying.

A number of police vehicles parked with personnel armed to the teeth, were seen patrolling the streets.

Armed policemen have been stationed at the KTC offices which are still under lock, meaning that it has temporarily been closed for business.

The Sunon Asorgli Power Plant is also under police protection with armed men stationed at the main entrance, and others at vantage points ready to foil any attack.

From Godfred Blay Gibbah, Kpone

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment