Kombian’s Counsel Deplores Reportage Of Case

Kombian (1)George Asamani, counsel for Johnson Kombian, the alleged murderer of two police-men at Bunkpurgu Yunyoo in the Northern Region, yesterday took strong exception to a media reportage which suggested his client’s mother was dead.

According to him, the accused’s    mother was alive and they were prepared to produce her in court.

Mr. Asamani was reacting to some publications particularly in the Daily Guide newspaper which stated  categorically that Kombian’s mother died as a result of the Police vandalising houses belonging to  Kombian’s uncles and mother in their search for him.

Mr. Asamani contended that, that publication about the death of Kombian’s mother had caused a stir in the Northern Region.

Continuing with his cross-examination, Kombian maintained that he did not know the three policemen who were allegedly ambushed and shot.

He claimed that when he visited Nankpanduri on October 16, 2010, he did not spend more than 30 minutes.

Asked which day was October 16, 2010, Kombian told the court  he could not tell.

The accused disagreed with the prosecutor, Mrs Marina Appiah Opare, a Principal State Attorney that October 17, 2010 was an important day, because of the shooting incident.

Kombian: I don’t understand. Each day was important to me, because when I wake up every day, I give thanks to God.

He maintained that on October 17, 2010, he was in Togo and between   5:30 and 6:30 p.m., was looking for a place to sleep because if the police found him out, he would be arrested.

Prosecution: Where were you sleeping?

Kombian: I was on my motor bike looking for food to eat and a place to sleep. In fact where I bought the food to eat was the place I slept.

The accused denied that what  he had told the court was an afterthought.

Kombian, at this juncture, got angry with some of the questions, thrown him by the prosecution.

The presiding judge, Mr Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, intervened saying: “If you get angry it would cloud your judgements. Don’t get angry.”

Defence counsel: “Take your time and listen to the questions and answer them carefully.”

Kombian denied that on October 17, 2010, he was at the Nankpanduri Scarp adding, “I only came to Ghana where serious issues came up in the family.

Prosecution: Which people saw you in Togo?

Kombian: “No Ghanaian saw me in Togo. It was the Togolese who saw me. They didn’t know me and I also didn’t know them.”

Court (Trial Judge): Which people arrested you in Togo?

Kombian: I was arrested by the authorities of Togo and handed  over to the Ghana Police.  It was in the night and my face was covered so I could not identify them. It was when we reached the Aflao border that I heard some Ghanaians speaking Twi that I realised that I was in Ghana.

The matter was  adjourned to September 1 and 2, 2014.

Meanwhile, defence counsel had intimated to the court that they intended calling two witnesses: one from Nankpanduri and another from Togo.

Counsel therefore, prayed for a short adjournment so they could raise money and transport the witnesses to court.     Kombian and his accomplices, on the run, are alleged to have ambushed three policemen, and killed two of them on 17 October, 2010.

The victims were Constables Prince Agyare and Owusu Frimpong.

Kombian has denied before a seven-member jury, charges  of conspiracy, and two counts of killing the two police officers.

He has been remanded by the court.

By Malik Sullemana


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment