Kintampo Health College admits more students

The College of Health and Wellbeing, Kintampo (CoHK), has admitted 1,037 fresh students into 12 programs of study for the 2015/2016 academic year.

The new admissions increases the student population to 2,244.

Mr. Isaac Azindow, acting Principal of the college announced this at the matriculation ceremony for the fresh students at the weekend.

The ceremony had the theme, “Infrastructural development: A challenge for health training institutions”.

According to the Principal, only 26 per cent of the student population were resident on campus, while the remaining 74 per cent were non-residential due to inadequate accommodation facilities.

The inadequate residential facilities, he said, continue to create a burden for the young students, especially the ladies, who rent private accommodation, making them vulnerable and exposed to insecurity and various forms of exploitation.

He underscored the need for more hostel facilities, besides an auditorium, skills laboratories and transport facilities for field practical activities for the ever increasing student population.

Mr. Azindow appealed for support from the government to help complete the college’s abandoned student hostel facility started about 10 years, as well as the construction of a new female hostel, adding that, “we are only able to meet just a quarter of the demand for hostel facilities”.

He said the institution was currently offering fourteen programmes, reflecting both clinical and public health courses, which are categorised into six departments of Community Medicine and Health, Oral Health, Community Health, Biomedical Science, Health Information and Community Mental Health.

Touching on the institute’s plans, Mr. Azindow said sandwiched post-basic programs, except that of Post-Basic Medical Assistant and Clinical Psychiatry programs, would begin next academic year and would enable serving officers to study while providing services, he explained.

Mr. Azindow advised the new students to abide by the statutes, rules and regulations of the institution to achieve success academically.

Mr. Emmanuel Kwadwo Agyekum, a Deputy Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, who is also the Member of Parliament for Nkoranza South, said government was making tremendous efforts to increase the infrastructural stock of the country’s health institutions through the provision of the needed equipment and logistics to enhance efficient health service delivery.—GNA

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment