The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), yesterday presented GH¢ 250,000 to the families of last year June 3, flood and fire disaster.
So far, the Assembly had presented GH¢710,000 to the families of the disaster victims.
Presenting the cash to the beneficiaries, the Chief Executive of AMA, Mr. Alfred Okoe Vanderpuije, said Ghanaians owed it a duty to prevent the repetition of such disaster, urging Ghanaians to ensure good sanitary practices and proper waste disposal.
He said although the government was committed to supporting the families of the victims, such gesture cannot replace the loss to the families and the nation.
The AMA boss appealed to Ghanaians to come forward and identify their families as there were still bodies at the mortuary yet to be identified.
He said an inter denominational church service would be held on Friday June 3 at Ernest Bruce Methodist Church, Adabraka, Accra to mark the one year of the anniversary of the disaster.
Mr. Kwanng Oppong, uncle of Kodwo Addae, 35, one of the victims told The Ghanaian Times in an interview that the family was still counting their loss.
He described his nephew as a hardworking young man who was striving to live a meaningful life.
The June 3 flood and fire disaster took the lives of 126 Ghanaians following a down pour on the night of Wednesday in 2015.
By Malik Sullemana