IGP petitioned to bring investigator to order

A victim of fraud, William Kofi Darko, has appealed to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) John Kudalor, to personally intervene to ensure justice is served in a case in which he was defrauded of GH¢5,000

Making the appeal through The Ghanaian Times, the complainant expressed fears that  the case may be struck out court for want of prosecution because the investigator, Detective Danso of the Anya Sowutuom Police Station had absented himself from court 13 times,  failing to produce the accused, Stephen Kwaku Adjei.

The Weija Magistrate’s Court where the case is being tried, heard last week Tuesday, that numerous attempts  to get the investigator to produce the accused had proved unsuccessful.

The Prosecutor, Chief Inspector Emilia, expressed her frustration about the conduct of Detective Danso. “That Detective Danso does not pick my calls, neither does he return the calls,” she lamented to the court, presided over by Nana Amarley Akowuah.

The Ghanaian Times gathered that the accused and his wife operated a chop bar at Weija, where the police first arrested him a few months ago.

It also found out during its investigation that the police was demanding money before the accused would be re-arrested, and the complaint declined to pay because it is the constitutional mandate of the police.

The facts are that the accused, Adjei, a resident of Amamole, Ablekumah, sold a plot of land to William Darku at GH¢5,000.

Later, Mr. Darku found out that Adjei had resold the same land to another person, and therefore, made a report to the police and Detective Danso was detailed to investigate the matter.

Following his arrest, the accused paid GH¢2,500 on March 22, and promised to refund the balance in two weeks, but has since failed to honour his promise.

Two months later, following a complaint, the Anya Divisional Commander instructed that the case be taken to court.

The prosecutor said since then, the investigator had attended court only once, while the accused showed up twice.

Three months ago, the court issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the accused, but the investigator kept dragging his feet and continued to absent himself from court.

He never picked up calls from the prosecutor and the complaint.

The case has been adjourned to November 8.


By Malik Sullemana


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment