Ignore list of 8 CEOs ordered to retire – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah

Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah,Minister of Information

Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah,Minister of Information

The government has asked the public to ignore a list of eight Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of state institutions circulating that they had been ordered to leave office for exceeding the mandatory retirement age of 60.

According to Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Minister of Information, although the power to hire and fire was vested in the President, due process would be followed if the CEOs were to be relieved of their positions.

“While it remains the prerogative of the President to engage or disengage the services of CEOs of State Owned Enterprises, he exercises such powers after the necessary requisite engagements.”

“Should the President at any time opt to disengage with the services of any CEO that will be done as always in accordance with established due process”, the Minister said at a media briefing in Accra, yesterday.

Reports were rife last Friday that some eight CEOs of some institutions had been directed to leave office by March 2019 over their ages and hand over to their deputies pending their permanent replacements.

The report referred to the Public Service Act which mandates public officers to retire from public service after attaining the age of 60 and gives the President the power to extend their mandate to about five years.

Mr Oppong-Nkrumah however noted that engagements between the government and CEOs of State Owned Enterprises were routine, stating that the said CEOs were at post.

The Member of Parliament for Ofoase-Ayirebi advised the media to be circumspect in their reportage and cross-check information with the ministry before publishing them.

By Jonathan Donkor

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :

Leave a Comment