This picture shows a khebab seller at Accra Newtown, opposite the Total filling station, operating his business close to an Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) transformer, bringing to question, how safe such important power installations are?
The operator, Mohammed Sani, told this reporter that he has been operating there for more than a decade, alleging that officials of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) collected fees from him every day.
Undoubtedly, the activities of the khebab seller could affect the functioning of the transformer, which serves a larger number of people, including business operators and shop owners within the vicinity.
Another worrying aspect of the development is that it can result in fire outbreak, and gut stores, shops and other economic entities.
When The Ghanaian Times contacted the Director of Fire and lightning at the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Mr. Kwabena Aasamani Odei-Mensah, over the matter, he said the spark of fire or amber from the khebab seller’s outfit could cause the transformer to catch fire.
Efforts to reach officials of ECG on the matter proved futile.
By Francis Asamoah Tuffour