Ho Circuit Court closed after fire guts judge’s chamber

Hearing of the case in which Benjamin Lern Akpalu, 29, a primary class six teacher at Akrofu-Xeviwofe, allegedly had sex with a 12-year old pupil in his class could not continue at the Ho Circuit Court as scheduled yesterday.

This was due to the fire incident on Monday, which destroyed the judge’s chamber.

A third prosecution witness, the investigator, was expected to testify in the case in which Akpalu has admitted having sex with the underage girl, despite pleading not guilty.

Akpalu at a previous hearing maintained that he did not force the pupil.

However, the court presided over by Madam Priscilla Dikro told him that a girl of that age was not capable of consenting to sex and so his explanation was not tenable.

Sergeant Clever Ayayee of the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) had told the court that the accused, during classes on January 28, this year, asked the victim to come over to his house at Sokode-Gbogame later in the day and sweep his room.

The prosecution said that Akpalu then gave the unsuspecting girl GH¢ 2.00 for transportation from Akrofu-Xeviofe to Sokode-Gbogame.

When the girl turned up at the teacher’s place of abode at about sunset that day, he invited her into his room and had sex with her, the prosecution added.

The court was further told that after the sex act, Akpalu warned the underage girl not to disclose what happened between them to anyone.

The prosecution revealed that the teacher again gave the girl GH¢ 2.00 for transportation back to Akrofu-Xeviofe.

The alleged victim, who had already been led in evidence by the prosecution, told the court that she suffered excruciating pain during the sex act.

She also revealed that she finally narrated the ordeal she went through at the hands of her class teacher to another teacher at the school who became suspicious after the accused was seen another day giving her a pineapple, the key to his room and some money, at the school.

Akpalu, who is in police custody, is expected to appear before the court again on March 20.

FROM ALBERTO MARIO NORETTI, HO

 

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment