Hearts cage Lions at Cape Coast

Victory at last -- Hearts can now heave a sigh of relief from the win at Cape Coast

Victory at last — Hearts can now heave a sigh of relief from the win at Cape Coast

ACCRA Hearts of Oak yesterday returned to winning ways when they thrashed visiting Heart of Lions 4-0 in their First Capital Plus Premier League matchday 23 clash played at the Cape Coast stadium.

The Phobians were playing home away from home following a temporary ban placed on them by the Ghana Football Association (GFA).

Hearts took just six minutes to open the floodgates of goals when mercurial midfielder Selasi Adjei forcefully stretched to shoot home before being crushed into by goalkeeper Mozart Adjetey.

That incident led to the goal scorer being taken off immediately for Kenneth Okoro.

Lions tried lifting up their game in search of the equalizer but they were dealt a heavy blow as Togolese import Foovi Aguidi hit a brace in the 25th and 37thminute of the game much to the disbelief of the sparse crowd that thronged the venue for the game including former management members of Hearts of Oak led by the Gbese Mantse, Nii Ayibonte II and Harry Zakour.

When all was pointing to a 3-0 first half score line, Eric Kumi popped up in the 44th minute to hit a sizzling strike from outside the box to beat goalkeeper Adjetey in post of Lions for the fourth goal.

Lion’s returned in the second half with substitute goalkeeper Kwame Baah coming on to replace goalkeeper Adjetey who was a pale shadow of himself during the first half.

Five minute after the break Osmana Muntaka drew a spectacular save from Hearts goalie Abdoulaye Soulama, who rose to parry his well taken drive from close range.

Minutes after that save Soulama went into the bad books of the referee Nathan Anafo as he charged on Lion’s Prince Acquah who was having a burst-up with Emmanuel Hayford after an off the ball incident, Hudu Yakubu also joined in the fray and this led to both Soulama and Yakubu receiving straight red cards.

After that incident, both sides slowed down the pace of the game as the ball occasionally swung from one end of the field to the other with the backline of both side standing resolute to prevent any more goals.

The Kpando lads who seemed overawed by the turn of event occasionally came close to scoring but substitute Oman Sackey and strikers Tanko Mohammed and Samuel Yeboah failed to find the back of the net as substitute goalkeeper Mutawakilu Seidu stood between them and a goal.

In the 86th minute Isaac Oduronearly made it five for the Phobians but his sweet strike from close range missed the target by a whisker.

By Times Sports Reporter

Print Friendly
Bukom Banku, Bastie fig...

Leave a Comment