A FUEL station at Nungua in Accra, was yesterday closed down by officials from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) for operating without a fire safety certificate.
The EV Oil Company Limited, was asked to cease operations until it acquires the necessary certificate.
The Director of Safety of the GNFS, Deputy Chief Fire Officer (DCFO) Michael Yarkwah, gave the directive when he led officials of the service to some fuel stations and other public places in Accra to inspect their safety certificates.
At the Fraga Oil at Labadi, there was spillage of oil in the valves whiles at the LA Town Total Service Station at Labadi, the operators had complied with safety measures, with fire safety facilities such as early detectors, filled fire extinguishers and hose among others in place.
DCFO Yarquah stressed the need for fuel filling stations to comply with safety measure to avert any fire disaster.
He directed all fuel stations to display fire safety certificates at their premises.
He asked the Next Door Restaurant at Teshie to put in place safety measures at its premises within two weeks or face closure.
DCFO Yarquah advised the Petrol Tankers Association to train its drivers, saying, “It is dangerous for them to spill the contents on the roads”.
He said the exercise would be ongoing to ensure sanity in the industry, adding that the best practices should be complied with to avoid the recurrence of the June 3 disaster which claimed about 160 lives.
DCFO Yarquah advised corporate entities to train fire wardens to fight fire until personnel of the service arrive to bring it under control.
By Anita Nyarko