Ghana to pull out of COSAFA tourney because of attacks?

FrdGHANA might pull out of next month’s COSAFA Cup if the xenophobic attacks in South Africa intensify.

The anti-immigration violence in the rainbow nation has received worldwide condemnation with at least seven people reported dead.

According to reports in the local media, four Ghanaian were killed in Bloemfontein but the South Africa High Commission in Accra said an autopsy report revealed the Ghanaian who was found dead on the streets of Durban died of an epileptic attack.

Ghana were invited alongside Tanzania to replace Angola and Comoros Islands for the tournament.

But it the Ghana FA might reconsider their decision to play in the tournament if things do not improve.

“We have not heard anything from the organisers except a message on their task from SAFA which was issued last week,” Fred Pappoe, chairman of the local Black Stars management committee told Joy FM.

“It is not a competitive tournament but a preparatory tournament that we have been invited to so it is not like an extremely important event that if we are not able to participate in, it will have any consequences, it is good if it comes on.

“Nobody will sacrifice his life for the tournament; if it comes on fine but if it doesn’t we can go on.

“The important thing is that our preparations are on course and geared towards our qualifier against Ivory Coast in October.”

Meanwhile Zimbabwe’s Football Association (ZIFA) says it will send a team to the tournament despite the ongoing attacks on foreigners.

Meanwhile, the Local Black Stars beat second-tier side Cornerstone 2-1 at the Obuasi Len Clay on Tuesday.

Maxwell Konadu’s side had to rally from a goal down to win the contest thanks to substitute Godfred Saka and in-form Great Olympics striker Kwame Boateng.

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment