GFA seeks response to A-G’s injunction

The Ghana Football Association (GFA) yesterday asked the Accra High Court Commercial Division “one” for time to file its response to an injunction application filed against it by the Attorney General (A-G).


Consequently, the case has been adjourned to Thursday July 12, 2018, to allow lawyers for the GFA to respond to the application.


Counsel for the football governing body, Mr Abu, Juan Jajarah, said the association was served with the new application last Friday.

On July 12, the A-G filed an ex-parte motion for a ten-day injunction to bar the GFA and its officials from engaging in any form of football related activity.


This included the appointment and election of officials, disposing of assets of the GFA, organising football matches, among other football related activities.

The A-G, following the expiration of the 10 days injunction, filed a motion on notice, seeking an extension of the restraining order against the GFA.


The A-G is seeking to dissolve the GFA, following investigations into football administration by investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, in which former FA president, Kwesi Nyatakyi, and other officials of the FA, were ‘caught’ on video negotiating various sums of money to influence the outcome of matches.

Ms. Gloria Afua Akuffo, A-G and Minister of Justice, argued that the association was being used for illegal activities, and that the government had the duty of protecting the interest of the public and would safeguard that interest.


According to her, the former FA president used the association as an instrument for self gain, and noted that the some officials had also used the GFA’s name to enrich themselves, at the expense of the public interest.


Ms. Akuffo said some officials of the FA had used the association for scandalous and corrupt activities, and told the court that the government was embarking on an exercise to ultimately safeguard the interest of the public.


Anas’ video was premiered at the Accra International Conference Centre on June 6, 2018, which drew a huge crowd, showed how penalties were awarded and red and yellow card shown to influence the outcome of matches.


Falling from that, the Ethics Committee of Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) handed a 90-day ban to Mr. Nyatakyi.


A statement issued to that effect said the ban could be extended to additional 45 days.


Mr. Nyatakyi subsequently apologised to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo  and Vice President, Alhaji Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia for claiming that he could influence them with money to award juicy contracts to his would-be partners.


Mr.Nyatakyi had since resigned his position as president of the GFA.


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment