Gascoigne denies sexualassault on woman

PAUL Gascoigne has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting a woman on a train and will face trial in January.

The former England star, 51, was arrested on August 20 following an incident while travelling from York to Durham.

Gascoigne appeared at Peterlee Magistrates’ Court this afternoon where he denied kissing a woman who was a fellow passenger on his train.

Gazza, dressed in a blue suit, blue shirt and white and tan brogues, looked anxious throughout the five minute hearing but emphatically said: ‘not guilty’ when asked his plea.

The case has been transferred to Teesside Crown Court and Gascoigne will appear on January 8 next year. District Judge Kristina Harrison said the case was suitable for trial at a future date before the magistrates court, but Gascoigne was given the option for trial by jury at crown court.

He said he wished to be tried at crown court and the case was adjourned.

Judge Harrison asked whether the charge Gascoigne faces had been reviewed by the Crown Prosecution Service and whether alternative charges had been considered.

Prosecutor Jolyon Parks answered: “The charge has been the subject of a reveiw by the appropriate lawyers and at present the prosecution is satisfied that sexual assault by touching is the appropriate charge.” – MailOnline

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment