Fury to face Wilder in Las Vegas December

Fury

Fury

TYSON Fury’s world heavyweight championship super-fight against Deontay Wilder is now scheduled to take place in Las Vegas early this December.

The official launch of the trans-Atlantic battle for Wilder’s WBC belt and Fury’s lineal title is expected in Vegas shortly before or immediately after the mega-rematch there on Saturday week between Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez, at which the world of boxing will be gathered.

Fury and Wilder pledged to fight each other when America’s Bronze Bomber joined Fury in the ring in Belfast following the second win of the Gypsy King’s comeback, over Francesco Pianeta.

Doubts had been raised about such a dangerous fight against knock-out puncher Wilder coming too soon for Fury upon his return from a near two-year absence from the ring but the Manchester giant is adamant that he will be ready.

Fury said on social media on Wednesday: “The fight is about to be announced. Training is going fantastic. I’m the most motivated ever.”

Wilder chimed in: “We’re going to Vegas.”

New York interest in staging the fight – from the historic Madison Square Garden and the new Barclays Center – was strong but the MGM site fee offer from Las Vegas is believed to have won the bidding.

The timing of the formal announcement will aim another barb from team Wilder at Anthony Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn, as AJ approaches the defence of his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight belts against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium on September 22.

Wilder, who has already accused Joshua of ducking a unification fight when he spurned a $50 million bid from America and then offered him only a flat $15 million in return to box in London, says: “Neither he or Eddie wanted the fight. Now me and Fury are in the biggest fight of all.”

Hearn and a US sports network boxing reporter have claimed that “a source” close to Fury told them he is ‘baulking’ at going ahead with the fight.

The travelling man himself has responded by saying: “Nonsense. I ain’t pulling out of nothing. I’m coming to get Wilder in his own backyard.”

Joshua alleges that finance is the only motivation for Fury and Wilder to meet, saying: “It’s just a money grab by Tyson and Deontay is hoping that the win he expects he can get while Tyson is rusty will give him a better negotiating position for fighting me in April.”

That is when Hearn has re-booked Wembley for Joshua’s fight after his probable victory over Povetkin, an event for which the Fury-Wilder announcement will come as a distraction.

Fury’s promoter Frank Warren is on record as saying that he had sight of team Wilder’s offer to Joshua and that it went even further than the initial $50 million, by offering an additional $30 million for rematch.

Now Wilder’s promoter Shelly Finkel has indicated that there is a provisional clause for a Fury rematch. Thus Joshua could find himself kept waiting late into next year or beyond for a chance to become the first undisputed world heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis and only the second since Mike Tyson.

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment