Fisheries Ministry donates 103 outboard motors to Keta fishermen

A fishermen receiving his outboard motor from Madam Ayittey (left

A fishermen receiving his outboard motor from Madam Ayittey (left

The Minister of Fisheries and Aqua Culture Development, Madam Sherry Ayittey on Tuesday presented a total of 103 outboard motors to chief fishermen in the various landing communities in the Keta Municipality.

With each of the outboard motor at a cost of GH¢12,500, the fishermen would bear only 60 per cent of the amount while the remaining 40 per cent would be absorbed by government through the assembly’s common fund.

This is part of the President’s Initiative to support the fishing industry.

Madam Ayittey commended fishermen in the Volta Region for adhering strictly to fishing regulation and using only approved nets and methods for catching fish.

She gave the assurance that government would increase the supply of pre-mixed fuel to the landing communities this season to boost fishing activities.

Meanwhile, Madam Ayittey announced that government was set to build a state-of-the-art landing beach site with facilities for servicing canoes, smoking and drying fish and a cold store among others, first at Anloga and then in the other communities.

According to her, the landing beach site would also have a day care for the children of fish mongers.

The minister stated that government placed a high premium on the fishing industry, for which reason it had introduced insurance policies for fishermen.

“We have also introduced scholarship schemes for the children of fishermen’s children as a direct social intervention of improving their welfare”, she added.

Madam Ayittey said that from this month, the construction of pavilions, bathrooms and toilets along the coastal stretch from Aflao to Axim would commence, in a move to keep the coast clean.

One of the chief farmers, Mr. Yaovi Gadah expressed gratitude to the minister for the gesture, saying “we have not seen anything like this before”.

He highlighted the need for shops to be established in the municipality to readily supply fishing equipment to the fishermen, “to save us from the inconvenience and time spent in travelling to Accra to buy those things”.

From Alberto Mario Noretti, Keta

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment