Fire guts wooden structures at Tema …120 rendered homeless

Forty 1Fire Monday night razed down 40 wooden structures, destroying properties worth several thousands of cedis at Bankuman, near the West Africa Gas Pipeline, in Tema.

 

However, there was no casualty as the 120 people living in the structures escaped unhurt, and were currently being accommodated at the Sharp Next Door Guest House.

 

Rose Afful, however, collapsed after escaping from the fire, and was taken to the Tema Port Clinic.

 

A victim, Elizabeth Acquah, told the Ghanaian Times Tuesday morning that she was indoor watching television around 7:15pm on Monday when a neighbour raised the alarm that a  kitchen nearby had caught fire apparently due to a leaking gas cooker.

 

She said the residents fetched water and attempted to quench the fire, but the blaze intensified due to strong winds, forcing them to run for their lives.

 

Acquah said some residents managed to salvage their personal belongings before the fire engulfed the whole area, but some unknown people pretending to assist in putting out the fire, stole properties belonging to some victims.

 

She said the fire was quenched at about 8:14p.m by personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service.

 

Tema Municipal Chief Executive, Felix Mensah Nii Annang-La, visited the scene last night and consoled the victims.

 

When contacted, Mrs. Harriet Wereko-Brobbey, General Manager, Corporate Affairs, West Africa Gas Pipeline Company Limited, said despite the fact that members of Tema Newtown were cautioned against building close to the pipeline, some developers continued to build near the project site, which was designated as an industrial area.

 

She said when the pipeline project took off nobody lived close to the area, but now structures were springing up at the place.

 

Mrs. Wereko-Brobbey hoped that the fire outbreak would serve as a wake-up call for people to stop putting up structures.

 

In a related development, MAHLEF Foundation has donated toilet rolls, toiletries, sanitary pads, underwear, footwear and Irish potato powder to the fire victims.

FROM GODFRED BLAY GIBBAH, TEMA NEWTOWN

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment