Farmer butchers father over money

A farmer at Asuboi, near Kadjebi in the Volta Region, has butchered his father for refusing to give him money to roof his one bedroom mud house, a Ho High Court, has heard.

The accused, Godwin Aziaba, appeared before the court again last week Tuesday, charged with murder.

A seven-member jury was told that the accused took out GH¢50 from the pocket of his father before fleeing the scene.

According to the prosecution, the incident took place in the evening on October 27, 2011, when the accused was 19 years old.

The Volta Regional State Attorney, Mr. Simon Adatsi, told the court presided over by Mr. Justice, Nicholas Chales Agbebvor that the accused, after putting up the one-room mud house, asked his 70-year-old father, Donyo Aziaba, to assist him with funds to purchase roofing sheets, but his father did not honour the demand.

On the fateful day, the prosecution said that the deceased sold a quantity of cocoa beans in the Asuboi town, and the accused again approached him and asked him to give him the proceeds from the sale of the cocoa beans, to enable him to buy the roofing sheets.

The court heard that his father refused to hand the money over to him and that resulted in a quarrel between them.

In the evening when the deceased left home to visit a friend at a nearby cottage, the accused trailed him, caught up with him and inflicted cutlass wound on him until he fell unconscious and removed the money from his father’s pocket.

The court was further told that after the deceased regained consciousness, he screamed for help and a “Good Samaritan” came to his aid and carried him to a nearby cottage.

At the cottage, the deceased mentioned the accused as the one who attacked him, before he was rushed to the St. Mary Theresa Hospital at Dodi Papase, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The prosecution said that the accused admitted the offence in his caution statement to the police, but said that he was advised by his mother to kill his father.

The accused, however, stated that on the day he attacked his father with the cutlass; his mother had no knowledge of his actions.

According to the prosecution, his mother, Mary Aziaba, told the police that her husband, just before he died, mentioned the accused as the one who attacked him and also said that the accused took money out of his pocket.

The accused was remanded in prison custody to appear again on April 25.

From Alberto Mario Noretti, Ho

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment