FAO to provide livelihood aid to 900,000 S Sudanese

Jose Graziano da Silva, Director-General, FAO

Jose Graziano da Silva, Director-General, FAO

The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) on Monday said it has targeted 900,000 South Sudanese households with livelihood assistance in a bid to mitigate food crises that hit hard the urban and peri-urban populations.

FAO officer-in-charge Jacqueline Were said the partnership with World Vision and the Ministry of Agriculture seeks to fight hunger and strengthen livelihoods through emergency crop, vegetable and fishing kit distribution in the capital Juba.

“FAO in partnership with World Vision and the Ministry of Agriculture recognise the critical need to tackle food insecurity by providing people with opportunity to produce their own food,” she told journalists in Juba.

Were added that these livelihood kits has enabled some 466,666 households to grow vegetables, cow pea and sorghum while taking advantage of the available water sources along the Nile basin to catch fish, providing vital and nutritious food that benefits families and communities.

World Vision director Perry Mansfield said they have provided training to farmers on improved methods of farming including post-harvest handling and value addition.

“Through this partnership with FAO, World Vision is using an integrated approach that builds on other food and livelihood projects for sustainability and improved food security for 21,000 households in Central Equatorial and Warrap states,” he said.

Perry added that the project is so far supporting 14,000 households in Juba and peri-urban area which adds up close to 80,000 people.

The UN in February declared famine in the northern Unity state counties of Leer and Mayendit, caused by combination of conflict and drought, leaving some 100,000 people starving and further 1 million on the brink, and warned that famine could spread to other parts of the war-torn country.

South Sudan descended into violence in December 2013 after political dispute between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar led to violent conflict that has killed tens of thousands and displaced over two million from their homes, and forced more than 1.5 million to flee into neighbouring countries.

The 2015 peace agreement to end the violence was again violated in July 2016 when the rival factions resumed fighting. -Xinhua

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment