Family of five victims buried in Accra

xxxHundreds of mourners yesterday converged for the funeral for the family of five, who perished in a fire, that gutted a one storey apartment at Dansoman Akokor Foto, a suburb of Accra.

They are Mrs. Linda Kessie, 31, wife of Pastor Ebenezer Ato Kessie, District Pastor of Dansoman Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) Church, his two children, Jaden and Jason Ato Kessie, his mother in-law, Madam Grace Amoah, and Precious Pokuaa, niece of Mrs. Kessie.

Mourners including the Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE) of Accra, Mohammed Adjei Sowah, Mr Stanley Agyiri Blankson, former MCE of Accra, Member of Parliament for Ablekuma South, Dr Alfred Okoe Vanderpuijie, SDA church members, families of the deceased and sympathizers filled past the caskets of the five, amidst wailing, at the Methodist University Campus, in Accra.

In a tribute, Pastor Kessie said it was hard to accept the sudden death of his wife, especially when he did not have the chance to say goodbye.

“I understand you screamed painfully together with Jaden, Jason, your mother and your niece, but voices went faint that no one could hear you as the fire intensified, “he added.

The Dansoman District of the SDA Church in a tribute described the late Mrs. Kessie as very active in all church activities, especially the Young Women Department, and helped in the organisation and re-launch of the department’s day, in October, 2017.

The Former President of the West Central Africa Division, SDA, Pastor Professor Jacob Jack Nortey, in sermon, asked Christians to accept everything, in time of trouble or time of success, as God knows what is best for his children.

He said Job’s story in the Bible was to let God prove to the world that he has not labored in vain.

After the burial service, the deceased were buried at Gbawe cemetery for burial.

The family of five, including a three-month-old baby, last perished in fire that gutted an apartment at Dansoman Akokor Foto, in Accra, a week ago.

The Ghana National Fire Service personnel arrived at the scene, and realised the victims were trapped in the building, but they could not immediately enter the apartment because it was fortified with security burglar-proof doors.

By the time the fire personnel and police had access to the apartment; the victims were dead as a result of the inhalation of smoke.

Anita Nyarko-Yirenkyi

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment