Eyadema’s Wife, 2 Others Defraud Estate Officer

Three people including a woman said to be the fifth wife of the late Togolese President, Gnassingbe Eyadema, have allegedly defrauded an estate officer of 400,000 dollars.

They are Alfred Takyi Mensah, a businessman; Alex Owusu Mensah, a satellite engineer and Sunu Eyadema, the fifth wife of the late Togolese President.

Sunu Eyadema, according to prosecution, introduced herself as a businesswoman based in the Republic of Togo who wanted to build hotels and schools in Ghana and therefore, used the projects as a bait and together with her Ghanaian counterparts collected an amount of 400,000 dollars from Mr. Samuel Kofi Tei, the estate officer

The case is being tried at an Accra Circuit Court by Mrs. Ivy Heward-Mills.

Sunu Eyadema (the third accused), after collecting the money absconded and left her accomplices, Alfred Takyi Mensah, (first accused) and Alex Owusu Mensah, (second accused), who were later arrested by the police.

Owusu Mensah, who initially had been attending court for a number of times, has also run away leaving only Takyi Mensah  to face the music.

The facts of the case as presented by the Chief State Attorney, Mr. Anthony Rexford Wiredu are that in 2008, Owusu Mensah introduced Sunu Eyadema to Mr. Tei (victim) as the fifth wife of the late Togolese President, Gnassingbe Eyadema, who had an interest to invest in Ghana.

He said the culprits told their victim that the  third accused (Sunu Eyadema) wanted to put up a four-Star Hotel with a school and as such, needed someone to assist her in the execution of the project.

The prosecutor said that the complainant (Mr. Tei) on hearing the news and being an estate officer, decided to assist Sunu Eyadema in the construction work.

Mr. Wiredu said that the Togolese businesswoman (Sunu Eyadema) also introduced Owusu Mensah (second accused) to the victim as her partner in Ghana, and after a series of meetings, she told him (victim) that she was a cement dealer in Togo and that instead of bringing huge sums of money to Ghana, she rather preferred transporting 1,000 bags of cement from Togo to Mr. Tei (victim) to sell and use the proceeds to start the projects.

He said that the complainant agreed to the arrangement and based on that, the three accused demanded and collected $400,000 from him, issued a receipt covering the amount, and promised to deliver the consignment but they failed to honour their pledge and went into hiding.

Mr. Wiredu said that suspecting a foul play, the victim was left with no option than to report the matter to the police who later arrested the first and second accused (Alfred Takyi Mensah and Alex Owusu Mensah) but the third accused (Sunu Eyadema) after collecting the money bolted away.

The case was adjourned to February 21, for cross-examination. Both the first and second accused have, however, pleaded not guilty. By Castro Zangina-Tong                                                            


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment