Ewuraffe withdraws rape case against KKD

TheKKD alleged rape case against popular broadcaster, Kwasi Kyei Darkwa (KKD), took a dramatic turn yesterday, when the victim, 19-year-old Ewuraffe Orleans Thompson, wrote to the Ghana Police Service to withdraw her interest in the case.

She said she was no more willing to continue the case, indicating that her reason to discontinue was as a result of the trauma she had suffered.

The two-page letter, dated January 12, 2015, was addressed to the Director of Public Prosecutions at the Attorney-General’s Department, and copied the Chief Justice, the Registrar of the High Court and the Police Administration.

Assistant Superintendent Effia Tenge, the Greater Accra Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Police Service, confirmed to The Ghanaian Times yesterday that the police had received the withdrawal letter, adding that the letter had been forwarded to the Attorney- General’s Department, which was already studying the docket on the case, for advice on the next line of action.

The 19-year-old cited the “media frenzy” which followed the arrest of KKD and the unceasing buzz and social media posts which she described as insensitive, for her decision.

Ms. Thompson said since the story of her rape allegation against the renowned broadcaster broke, her life had taken a dramatic turn, adding that she had not been able to appear in public, without attracting hushed gossips and finger-pointing.

Consequently, she said, she was unable to continue co-operating with the police to prosecute.

Following the development, the Human Rights Fast Track High Court in Accra, considering a motion for bail filed by the suspect’s counsel, yesterday adjourned hearing to January 15, after the KKD’s counsel and State Attorney met the judge in chambers.

The Presiding Judge, Justice Essel Mensah, granted a request by defence counsel, Anthony Forson, to hear the case in camera, since there were some issues which could not be discussed in open court.

When they returned, the Judge announced the adjournment of the case to January 15.

The Ghanaian Times gathered that the letter for withdrawal of the case was the centre of discussion in the chamber.

KKD was not in court yesterday as he was still on admission under police guard at the Police Hospital for knee pains.

After the Kaneshie District Magistrate Court where the state began committal stages against the accused refused him bail, KKD’s lawyers, filed a motion for bail at the Human Rights Fast Track Court.

After its first hearing on January 8, the motion for bail was adjourned to January 13, when the case was heard in chambers, and later adjourned to Thursday.

The substantive case before the court had been adjourned to January 22, for hearing.

However, now that the complainant has expressed her desire to discontinue the case, the Attorney General would be the only body to advise prosecution on what to do.

The renowned broadcaster, KKD, was arrested on December 28, by the Airport Police after Ms. Thompson accused him of raping her in a hotel bathroom.

KKD admitted having sex with her, but insisted it was consensual.

Meanwhile, KKD has apologised for the action which he said, had brought him public ridicule and disgrace.

He said he had sinned, and was therefore asking for God’s forgiveness.

His apology came a few hours after the victim, Ewuraffe Orleans Thompson, had written to the police of withdrawing her interest in the case.

“I truly and sincerely apologise for the public ridicule and disgrace that have ensued by reason of the fleeting pleasure of the flesh involving Ewureffe Orleans Thompson and myself.

“I acknowledge I have sinned,” said the letter, signed by KKD.

“I have prayed to my God for forgiveness for all that trauma that I have caused this young woman,” he said and asked the media to “spare Ewureffe and our respective families any further agonies.”

Meanwhile, a public interest and human rights lawyer, Francis Xavier Sossu, says in spite of the withdrawal of interest by Miss Thompsom, the State could still go ahead to prosecute the case, if there is adequate evidence of the crime.

He, however, said that the withdrawal had weakened the case, even if the State went ahead with it.

Ms. Thompson, according to the lawyer, had every right to withdraw the case, although it was a criminal one, prosecuted by the State.

He said because Ms. Thompson was the prime prosecution witness, since her evidence would be critical in determining whether sexual act was consensual or not, her absence would pose difficulties for the prosecution.

“The State has two options, either to continue the case, or file a nolle prosequi,” he said.

He said though Ms. Thompson could be subpoenaed to testify, it would not serve any purpose, if she failed to give evidence which could support the case.

In the meantime, Mr. Sossu urged the police to invite her for interrogation, to understand the reasons for her withdrawal, adding that if the reasons had nothing to do with the substance of the case, she could be convinced to continue, to support the prosecution.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment