Endowment fund bill for Major Mahama’s children drafted

A bill to set up an endowment fund for children of the late Major Maxwell Mahama has been drafted and will be sent to parliament for approval before the house goes on recess next month.

Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul who disclosed this said the Defence Ministry and the Attorney General’s office were putting finishing touches to the draft bill after which it would be sent to cabinet and subsequently parliament.

Speaking during a courtesy call on him by the late Major’s family at the ministry in Accra yesterday, he stressed government’s commitment to fulfill all the promises made in the aftermath of their relative’s death.

The eight-member delegation led by spokesperson for the family Mr Zakaria Ahmed, included father and wife of the late Major Mahama, Captain (Rtd) Dennis Mahama and Mrs Barbara Mahama respectively.

They called on the minister to expressed the family’s gratitude to him for his support during the trying moment and remind government of the endowment fund, the monument and justice for their late relative.

The late Major Mahama (then captain) was lynched by a mob at Denkyira-Obuasi, in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region on May 29, when he was allegedly mistaken for an armed robber while jogging.

He was posthumously promoted to Major by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo with a promise to set up an endowment fund with a GH₵500, 000 seed money for the two sons he left behind.

Additionally, the President announced that a monument would be erected in his honour at a-yet-to-be announced location, assuring that his murderers would be brought to book.

Mr Nitiwul said the fund would not be the usual appeal for funds but backed by law and expressed the hope that parliament would pass it so the trustees would start work.

He said the monument had been discussed extensively at the cabinet level and that a proposal would be presented to the family, assuring them that they would make an input in the location of the monument.

He said the death of the late Major should be a wake-up call to end mob justice saying, “this is an archaic practice that should not be done anywhere. It is time to stop it. He should be the last.”

Earlier, spokesperson for the family, Mr Ahmed praised the minister and government for honouring the family’s request for the state burial and asked for periodic updates on their other requests.

So far, 19 out of at least 50 suspects arrested, are awaiting trial on charges of murder and conspiracy to murder.

By Jonathan Donkor and Rita Appah

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment