Elections won’t be postponed- Court

The Supreme Court yesterday dismissed an application by presidential aspirant of the Democratic People’s Party (DPP), Thomas Nuako Ward-Brew, asking the Electoral Commission (EC) for an extension of nomination period and postponement of the December 7 general elections.

The court awarded a cost of GH¢3,000 to the EC.

The seven-member panel presided by Justice Sophia Adinyira, said there was no merit of the case both in form and substance.

The court said the proceedings for which the applicant was in court, had been disposed off on November 7, 2016 , and that the court’s original jurisdiction could not be properly invoked in Mr.Brew’s application.

The court said Mr. Brew’s claim that he was in Nigeria during the extension of nomination ordered by the Supreme Court was frivolous.

The court said the applicant could not initiate an action at the High court to invoke the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court.

However, Mr.Brew in his response, said the errors on his nomination forms occurred because he was suffering from eye problems.

He said the postponement of the polls would give disqualified presidential aspirants, including him, ample time to campaign.

Mr. Ward-Brew said “The Electoral Commission should have used courier services to inform the affected aspirants about the Supreme Court’s order of November 7, 2016, to enable them to respond because that was their obligation instead of relying on radio announcements and expecting the affected candidates to comply and meet the limited time set out by the Supreme Court.”

He said it appeared the EC used “self-imposed” delays to put pressure on everybody so that they would be able to get away with their acts of injustice and mistakes to hold everybody to ransom.

The Supreme Court, on November 7, 2016, directed the EC to give a fair hearing to all disqualified presidential aspirants.

It directed the EC to allow all the presidential aspirants who were able to submit their nomination papers by close of the nomination day of September 30, 2016 and were disqualified without a hearing to do so within the extended period.

The court, in its judgement, also extended the nomination period from Monday, November 7 to the close of working day, Tuesday, November 8.

 

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

 

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :
Lower Court judges thre...
Candidates cause commot...
NCA inaugurates new off...
EP Church marks Founder...
... Woyome alleges pers...
UK envoy slams party vi...
City of Colombus streng...
COTVET offers training ...
Amidu, Woyome to do bat...
Palmer-Buckle reminds G...

Leave a Comment