Elecafetelero Ghana, Obama Farms strike deal

Elecafetelero Ghana Limited, dealers in livestock keeping, import and export and general merchant and Obama Farms have struck a joint venture deal.

Under the deal, Elecafetelero has injected capital of GHS 50,000 into the operations of the farm located at Nima to enable it to expand its business.

Speaking at a ceremony to seal the deal, Managing Director of the company, Alhaji Yussif Amadu, said the venture was meant to boost local poultry production.

He explained that the injection of the money would cause a rippling effect in the value chain of the production of feed, creating over a thousand jobs.

Statistics available at the ministry indicate that only 42 per cent of poultry meat consumed in Ghana is from domestic suppliers, with the remaining 58 per cent  imported from the European Union and the United States.

Alhaji Yussif said apart from increasing the bottom line of both companies the venture would help create jobs for the youth.

He said his outfit was looking forward to cheap funding to support the young people especially those venturing into farming in order to get the youth engaged in business.

“So far we have supported about five individuals but Obama has improved and has the potential of venturing into large scale poultry farming, we then decided to engage them in a partnership,” he stated.

Mr. Amadu stressed that they would continue to support the young farmers especially does who wish to do large scale farming as there are several youth in Zongo communities who require such support.

Owner of Obama Farms, Yakubu Iddrisu expressed gratitude to Elecafetelero for the support adding that it would go a long way in helping the farm to realise its objectives.

He added that, his outfit currently employs over 10 young people in the area and asked other companies to come on board to assist young farmers.

He said the country risks losing a vibrant industry that provides employment to many households if the situation is not reversed.

“If we are able to build the local capacity of our poultry farmers, we won’t have to import over 171, 000 metric tons of chicken into the country”, he suggested.

According to him, players in the industry must engage policy-makers and development partners to improve the broiler value chain.

By Times Reporter

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment