ECG workers end strike

A private vending shop attending to the public Photo, Seth Osabukle.The leadership of the workers of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) yesterday, called off their nationwide strike, and urged all staff members to return to their duty posts, this morning.

The decision was taken after the national executive branch of the Public Utility Workers Union (PUWU) Committee of the ECG met in Accra yesterday, to review their two-day old strike which started on Friday.

The restoration of the services, may be shortlived if the leadership of the company and the government fail to reach an agreement in a meeting scheduled for tomorrow.

Mr. Isaac Yaotey Ako Jnr, Senior Industrial Relations Research Officer at the ECG, in an interview with The Ghanaian Times after the meeting, said the decision to call off the strike was to offer the government the benefit of the doubt to rethink its decision to cede the company to a private investor.

“We have called off our strike just to give the government and Millennium Development Authority (MiDA) an opportunity to reconsider their decision to give out the ECG,” he explained.

According to Mr. Yaotey, the outcome of tomorrow’s meeting would determine the next line of action of the defiant workers, who first registered their disagreement with the concession move with a three-hour-a-day strike between Wednesday, August 24, and Friday, August 26.

He was, unable to tell The Ghanaian Times what the next line of action would be if government failed to budge, but stated that the  workers, were committed to ensuring that the concession move was aborted because “it is not in the best interest of the state”.

The Senior Industrial Relations Research Officer at the ECG expressed his satisfaction at the level of cooperation the staff had given the leadership, and called on them to remain calm as they pushed their agenda.

Staff of the ECG, backed by the  (PUWU), have been battling government over its decision to partially privatise the electricity distribution company for 25 years.

The deal, however, appears to be cast in stone, because President John Mahama had earlier told the workers to brace up for the concession.

Meanwhile, members of the public who were at the offices of the ECG to purchase electricity credit were again disappointed after they slept in darkness over the weekend.

Madam Ama Amankwa, who was at the Accra East region office among many others, told The Ghanaian Times that her credit got finished on Friday, and she could not purchase any over the weekend, forcing her family to endure darkness.

By Julius Yao Petetsi         

 

 

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment