ECG accounts officer charged with stealing, forgery

A former accounts officer of the Electricity Company of Ghana Limited (ECG), Ebenezer Teye Narteh, is facing trial at the Financial Division of an Accra Fast Track High Court for allegedly stealing, and forging to defraud the company of GH¢1,596,090.74.

Mr. Narteh, formerly in the Obuasi District, is facing 104 charges made up of 53 for stealing, 50 for forgeries and one count of issuing a false cheque.

The accused pleaded not guilty to all the charges on Friday, when he appeared before the court, presided over by Justice Georgina Mensah Datsah.

His counsel, Kwasi Adu-Mante, prayed the court to grant him bail, as he had been co-operating with investigations and the court to which the court agreed and granted him bail in the sum of GH¢1.6 million with three sureties one of which is to be justified.

The case was then adjourned to October 14, 2015.

Prosecuting, Chief State Attorney, Matthew Ampnosah, told the court that Ebenezer Teye Narteh was an accounts officer in-charge of the Obuasi District Office of the ECG from 2004 to May 10, 2010.

He said investigations had established that between 2007 and April 2010, Narteh used various methods to steal a total of GH¢1,596.090.74 belonging to his employers.

Mr. Amponsah averred that Narteh, who was responsible for paying workers’ claims, left gaps in-between figures and words of cheques which he later filled with some figures and then claimed the difference.

The accused according the prosecutor, received monies from ECG revenue collectors under the pretext of paying them to the bank and later forged GCB received stamps to endorse the bank’s pay-in slips which he presented as evidence of payment.

He added that the accused, substituted cheque payments from AngloGold Ashanti Company Ltd and other corporate clients of ECG with cash received from revenue collectors.

The prosecution said in May 2010, Management of ECG detected the crime and ordered a forensic investigation which uncovered GH¢1.596 million stolen from the company.

The accused subsequently resigned, and admitted to the crime and offered to pay back the amount involved, and issued a false cheque of GH¢50,000.

Following this, he was arrested and prosecuted at the Circuit Court in 2010 but the case was transferred to the High Court after ECG had filed a nolle prosequi.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme    

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment