Dr. Gabass’ fate to be decided, July 13

•   Dr. Gabass

• Dr. Gabass

An Accra Circuit Court yesterday set July 13, to deliver its judgement in the sodomy case involving Dr. Sulley Ali Gabass, a medical practitioner at the Effia-Nkwanta Government Hospital, Sekondi, in the Western Region.

This was after the prosecution and the defence counsel had filed their written addresses as ordered by the court.

Consequently, the court, presided over by Mrs. Rita Agyemang-Budu, has set the date for the final determination of the case, which had been before it for eight months.

The prosecution earlier called five witnesses, including the victim and Manasseh Awuni Azure, the Joy FM journalist who first published the story which led to the arrest of the accused and his subsequent prosecution.

The other witnesses were the investigator, Sergeant (Sgt.) Odei Asiedu, Dr. Nii Aryee, a surgeon at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital who diagnosed the victim after an anal fistula and anal rectal abscess surgical operation and the victim’s father.

At a sitting on May 18, the presiding judge for the second time cautioned the prosecution and lawyers of Dr. Gabass to desist from unnecessary delay of the case.

The Judge noted that the case had been on-going since November, last year, and said she would do everything possible to ensure an expeditious trial.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Idan Derry, prosecuting earlier, told the court that the accused between October 2013 and April 2014, sodomised the teenager five times at Kasoa in the Central Region and Alajo in Accra.

He said the victim was a student at Kasoa while Dr. Gabass was a medical practitioner at the Effia-Nkwanta Regional Hospital in Sekondi.

Dr. Gabass was said to have encountered the victim on Facebook in September 2013, when they became friends and later established contacts.

He told the court that in October 2013, Dr. Gabass arranged and met the victim at Kasoa New Market area and had anal sex with him in his car in front of a bank.

On December 28, 2013, at about 7 p.m., he again met the victim at Kasoa and had sex with him after which he gave him a Samsung Galaxy phone and GH¢20 which he initially turned down, but was forced to accept afterwards.

The victim later fell ill and informed Dr. Gabass who prescribed paracetamol for him.

Dr. Gabass is still in prison custody.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme  

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment