Delta Force 13 case adjourned

The suspects leaving the courtroom

The suspects leaving the courtroom

The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) Circuit Court has adjourned the case of 13 members of the vigilante group, Delta Force, affiliated to the New Patriotic Party (NPP), who are standing trial for allegedly assaulting the Ashanti Regional Security Coordinator, George Agyei, to June 15, 2017.

This followed a plea by the prosecutor, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Okyere Darko, to the court, presided over by Mrs. Mary Nsenkyire, for enough time, as the docket, which was referred to the Attorney General’s (A-G) Department, for advice, was still with the A-G.

The atmosphere was charged with the heavy security presence, when the accused were brought to the court, and some of their colleagues were there to give them moral support.

Mathew Appiah, the lead counsel for the accused, addressing journalists, said he, together with his clients, were ever ready for continuation of the case, whenever the docket was ready.

The accused are, Kwame Bamba, also known as Ofosu Nsiah Boadu, 37, Awal Sadat Abubakar, Abubakar Sadiq Abdul Hameed, Jamal Issah and Hamza Mohammed.

The rest are Agya Boadu, 46, Kwabena Boadu, 46, Kwaku Awotwe, 40, Saliu Yusif, 35, Akwasi Owusu, 34, Saliu Issaka, 33, and Yusif Saliu, 32.

They have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, assaulting public official, unlawful entry, destroying property, to which they had all pleaded not guilty.

The Ghanaian Times, in its April 7, 2017 edition, carried a story of the 13 members, who were said to have been forcibly freed by some of their colleagues at the KMA Circuit Court on April 6, 2017, after Mrs. Nsenkyire, remanded them into prison custody for two weeks.

Moments after the pronouncement of the judge, the colleagues of the accused stormed the court, and aided their escape from lawful custody.

The group almost assaulted the judge, who was whisked away to her chambers, by the police, to prevent any nasty act toward her by the irate group, most of whom were dressed in all black.

But the 13 members later turned themselves to the police after their escape, and on April 10, 2017, they were fined GHC 2,400 each by a KMA Circuit Court, after they pleaded guilty for escaping from lawful custody, and subsequently granted bail to the sum of GHC 10,000 each with two sureties.

The case against eight of the colleagues, who were arrested for aiding the escape of the 13, was dropped by the A-G for lack of evidence when they appeared before a circuit court here, presided over by Mrs Patricia Amponsah, on Wednesday May 17, 2017, which development had received criticisms from several quarters of Ghana, including the Minority in Parliament.

From Kingsley E. Hope and Faustina Kwabea Osei, Kumasi


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment