Court awaits A-G’s advice on KKD

KKDAn Accra District Magistrate Court yesterday adjourned to January 22, the alleged rape case involving the popular broadcaster, Kwesi Kyei Darkwah, known in showbiz circles as KKD, awaiting advice from the Attorney-General’s Department.

Counsel for the accused, Tony Forson, told the court that they had filed a motion for bail at the Human Rights Fast track High Court, which had been fixed for January 13.

Against that backdrop, he said, it would be prudent they sought advice from the prosecution.

The prosecutor, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ASP) Moses Atibilah in his submission said he could not advise the court on its motion for bail at the High Court, as sought by the defence counsel.

He said they were not at the Magistrate Court for the trial, but committal and that, they had forwarded the docket to the Attorney General’s Department for advice.

The court, presided over by Mrs. Adwoa Akyaama Ofosu, adjourned the case to January, 22, pending the advice from the A-G.

The accused, KKD, appeared in court yesterday not in his usual suit, but in a blue shirt on a pair of cream trousers, with a pair of shoes to match.

In a related development, the motion for bail which was filed at the High Court by the defence was fixed for January 13, after the state prosecutor had informed the court that he received the 30-page affidavit very late.

The facts of the case, according to ACP Atibillah, the first prosecutor were that, KKD and a lady, Orleans Ewuraffe Thompson met in front of the African Regent Hotel for an event, The RIP Fashion Show and after exchanging pleasantries, walked into the lobby where the accused introduced her to his cousin who was also at the show.

During the brief encounter, the complainant took photographs with KKD after which he asked her to accompany him upstairs to which she obliged.

Ewuraffe and KKD, in the company of their cousins, took a lift to the third floor where they had drinks together.

While conversing in the room, KKD invited Ewuraffe to the washroom to help him make up for the show.

There, he forcibly had sex with her, the prosecution said.

He was subsequently arrested by the police and he admitted having sex with the girl, but insisted that the complainant consented to the act.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme         

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment