Counsel for Gabass cross-examines investigator

The cross-examination of the investigator in the alleged sodomy case of Dr. Sulley Ali Gabass, the medical practitioner at the Effia-Nkwanta Hospital in Sekondi ended yesterday.

Sergeant Odei Asiedu, the investigator and third prosecution witness, had been under cross-examination by the accused’s counsel after his evidence-in-chief on February 17.

The court presided over by Mrs. Rita Agyeman-Budu, adjourned the case to March 12.

During the last sitting on March 4, the case was adjourned to yesterday, to enable the counsel for Dr. Gabass to continue his cross-examination of the investigator.

Information gathered by The Ghanaian Times from the prosecution indicate that a fourth prosecution witness would be called to testify.

The investigator, in his testimony on February 17, informed the court of the pictures he took to aid his investigation. He also revealed to the court, pictures he took of the Effia Nkwanta Hospital where Dr. Gabass worked as a medical practitioner, his (Dr. Gabass’) house and the hospital where the victim was admitted, when he fell ill.

The sodomised victim and a Joy FM investigative journalist, Manasseh Awuni Azure, who first published the story which led to the arrest of the accused and subsequent prosecution in court, had already given their evidence as the first and second prosecution witnesses.

Earlier, Deputy Superintendent (DSP) Idan Derry, prosecuting, told the court that the accused, between October 2013 and April 2014, sodomised the teenager five times at Kasoa in the Central Region, and Alajo in Accra.

He said the victim is a student who lives at Kasoa, while Dr. Gabass is a medical practitioner at the Effia-Nkwanta Regional Hospital, Takoradi.

Dr. Gabass, according to the prosecutor, encountered the victim on facebook in September 2013, and they became friends and later established contacts on phone and online.

The court was told that in October 2013, Dr. Gabass arranged and met victim at the Kasoa New Market area where he had anal sex with him in his car in front of a bank.

On December 28, 2013, at about 7 p.m, he again met victim at Kasoa and had sex with him after which he gave him a Samsung Galaxy phone and GH¢20 which he initially turned down, but was coerced to accept.

Thereafter, victim fell ill and informed the accused who prescribed paracetamol for him.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme     

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment