Commey in U.S. for May 22 date

RchhCOMMONWEALTH lightweight champion, Richard Oblitey Commey is in the United States of America where he will fight for the first time on May 22.

Commey, 28, rated number 7 by the IBF, number 14 by the WBA and number 16 by the WBC, faces the sternest test of his world championship credentials against 27 year old Mamadjonov at the D Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada.

He intends to maintain his perfect record (21-0, 19 KOs) against Bahodir Mamadjonov of Uzbekistan for the IBF Intercontinental lightweight championship.

Commey and his coach, Lawrence Carl Lokko rounded up their preparations and left Accra yesterday morning to the US

He has been training in Ghana for the past month since winning his 21st straight win in South Africa over home favourite, Thompson Mokwana at the end of March, .

Victory by Commey could set him up for a possible eliminator or even a world title shot itself by the end of year but Team Commey are not getting ahead of themselves.

“Now Richard is IBF (no.7) in the rankings in and other sanctioning bodies, it tells you the chance can come at any time but let’s focus gradually and get to the top,” Coach Lokko said.

“Let’s focus on one fight after the other, finish the task ahead of you to prove that you have been in the States now and won your fight,” he added.

In another development, former Ghana and West Africa champion, Raymond Commey hopes to finally lay his hands on the WBA Pan Africa Super Bantamweight belt when the Ghanaian boxer faces compatriot, Michael Barnor in Accra on Friday, May 22.

Commey nicknamed Chorkor Banku defeated Kenyan, Nick Otieno at the Accra Sports Stadium back on December 26 last year apparently for the same belt, but he never got the title due to some technical hitches which according to the WBA did not warrant the fight as sanctioned.

Commey (12-2, 5 KOs) has since fought twice, first he claimed another victory over Joe Cudjoe (TKO round 6) on February 27 before also defeating Saidu Amadu via unanimous points decision after 8 rounds on April 30 at Cuzzy Bros in Osu, Accra in a fight promoted by Hemann Promotions Ltd.

But Chorkor Banku will now get the opportunity to wrestle Barnor for the WBA Pan Africa belt at the City Engineers yard in James Town in the heart of the Ghanaian capital.

“This is a chance I can’t let slip by, it’s my title because I already beat a very tough boxer from Kenya to win but some problems beyond my control made it impossible for me to get the belt,” Commey told Allsports.com.gh exclusively.

“But I thank God and my management for the good work to give me another chance and I promise I won’t let them down. I have prepared very well and can’t wait to get into the ring, I promise to win the title for my fans,” Chorkor Banku added.

Also fighting on a packed undercard at the City Engineers yard are other promising Ghanaian boxers including Prosper Ankrah, Isaac Sackey, Phillip Kotey and many more.

By Times Sports Reporter

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :
GBF to form regional fe...
Taekwondo Peace Corps t...
Hearts coach vows to wi...
UEW reaps results for s...

Leave a Comment