Children Rescued From Burning Apartments

Some of the victims after the fire outbreakThe timely intervention of some residents, sympathisers and tenants saved two new born babies trapped in a blaze in residential apartments at Kwadaso last Monday evening.

Six other children, who were changing themselves in their respective rooms after school, were also rescued.

In all, eight families were displaced by the fire, which completely razed down their apartments.

The cause of the fire, which started around 5.30 p.m. and destroyed property worth thousands of Ghana Cedis, was not immediately known.

Apart from two television sets, a foam mattress, a table top fridge, and a few clothes, belonging to some tenants, everything in the eight- bedroom house including the roof, were burnt beyond recognition.

It took personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) close to two hours to bring the situation under control, and prevent it from spreading to the adjoining boys’ quarters and other nearby houses.

When the ‘Times’ arrived on the scene, people who had been attracted by the incident, as well as residents who could not withstand the level of destruction, were wailing uncontrollably.

According Station Officer Abaidoo, his outfit had begun investigations into the incident.

“So far from a random search in all the rooms no sign of death, as well as injury had been recorded,” he said.

From Godwin Ofosu-Acheampong, Kumasi

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment