Casualty in Chereponi clashes now 5

Mr. Salifu Saeed, Northern Regional Minister

Mr. Salifu Saeed, Northern Regional Minister

The death toll in the Kokomba and Chokosis ethnic clashes over a farm land in the Chereponi District of the Northern Region has risen to five.

Two people were killed on Tuesday in a gun battle that ensued between the two groups.

Some natives of Chereponi at a press conference held in Tamale yesterday said they feared of renewed fighting, if the authorities do not beef up security in the area.

Dr Somlomo Gumaaga, vice president of Chokosis Association in Tamale revealed more than five communities had been burnt down during the hostilities.

According to him the security situation in Chereponi was deteriorating as houses and other properties were being targeted by the warring factions.

He emphasised that there was mounting tension in the municipality and people were fleeing to other safe communities.

Dr. Gumaaga added that no vehicle could move in or to the Chereponi township as all roads leading to the town have been blocked.

Meanwhile, Northern Regional Minister, Mr. Salifu Sa-eed in an interview with the Ghanaian Times yesterday said more security personnel were dispatched to the area to maintain law and order.

He stated that the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC) was making frantic efforts to restore peace in the conflict zone.

Mr. Sa-eed mentioned that the security personnel had been instructed to apprehend any person who disturbed the peace.

Meanwhile, the Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO,) Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mohammed Yussif Tanko said no arrest has been made.

He stated that the primary focus of the security agencies now was to bring the situation under control.

From: Yakubu Abdul-Majeed, Tamale.

 

email
Print Friendly
RELATED POST :

Leave a Comment