Boy dies in Bolga Housing fire

child pixA four-year-old boy was burnt to death on Sun-day, while his two cousins escaped, when fire hit their house at Bolgatanga.

The three children had returned home from Sunday School, while their mother and grand-mother were in church.

According to Mr. Isaac  Men-sah, father of the two survivors and uncle of the deceased, he was at work at the Ghana Water Company, when a neighbour called to inform him that their house was on fire.

He rushed home immediately to find personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) trying to put it off.

He said his six-year-old daughter noticed the fire in the house, and took out her one-and-half-year-old brother, from the sitting room to safety.

Mr. Mensah said when she returned and tried to take her cousin from the bedroom, she could not open the door and therefore, raised the alarm, but help got to them too late.

Mr. Mensah, whose wife is an employee of the GNFS, said the deceased child was the son of his sister, domiciled in Benin.

Mr. Roger Abaa, a Fire Officer, said the Fire Service was called at about 11.30 a.m. and responded quickly, but could not save the boy, as some burning items had fallen on him and also could not be immediately located in the smoke-filled room.

Mr. Abaa could not tell how the fire started, but assured of investigations.

The police took away the charred remains of the boy.

Mr. Aninga Sam, the Human Resource Manager of the Ghana Water Company, consoled the family, and assured that they would be re-settled.—

GNA

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment